Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 03 Jan 11 at 17:06 PM

Ipswich Town 0 v 1 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest finish the day just outside the play-off places after a hard-fought battle against Ipswich gave them all three points.

The first half didn't come to life until the final 20 minutes when both sides created chances and Forest finally broke the deadlock in stoppage time.

In an evenly-matched second half there were chances for both sides and Forest did well to keep the clean sheet for a rare away win.
It was a scrappy start to the game, with both teams giving the ball away too often and it took a long time to come to life.

Connor Wickham made a good break for Ipswich, getting away from Luke Chambers, but he recovered well to smother the cross to give away the first corner of the game.

It was 20 minutes before either keeper had anything to do but it was an easy save for Lee Camp to gather up the ball from Jack Colback's effort from 25 yards out.

Forest created a chance from a good cross by Chris Cohen, which got a touch from David McGoldrick and Marton Fulop reacted quickly to kick the ball away with his legs.

Good play by Wickham down the wing created another chance for Ipswich with his superb cross onto the head of Fallon, but he nodded it straight down into the arms of Camp.

Ipswich had an excellent chance to take the lead when Troy Brown got away from Nathan Tyson and ran clear, his header from eight yards out forcing a great save from Camp.

And Forest came close when McGoldrick chested the ball down to Guy Moussi as he ran in and Fulop did well to dive and stop the ball going in at the far post.

Forest looked more threatening towards the end of the half, stretching Ipswich at the back, although the home side came close when a great drive from Grant Leadbitter from 35 yards was only just over the crossbar.

Forest finally got on the scoresheet in stoppage time when McGoldrick made a good run to get onto the end of a long ball by Cohen and squared it back into the six-yard box where it went in off Damien Delaney for an own goal.

Forest had a great chance to double their lead in the opening minute of the second half. Paul Anderson made a great run forward and found himself in load of space where he waited and pulled the ball back to Cohen on the edge of the box where he scooped the ball over the crossbar.

A great run by Wickham set up David Norris as he burst into the penalty area but he shot wide instead of pulling the ball back for any of three Ipswich players.

A good period of end-to-end football saw both sides creating chances, with Aaron Ramsey doing well to get the ball forward to Paul Anderson who went down as he tried to toe-poke the ball towards goal.

And when Ipswich made a quick break, Tyson reacted quickly to clear a cross from Carlos Edwards.

After forcing a save from Fulop when he tried to curl the ball round the Ipswich keeper, McGoldrick was substituted to an ovation from the travelling supporters, as he was replaced by Marcus Tudgay.

Play was stopped after a collision between Lynch and Norris which sent the Ipswich player to the ground, where he required treatment and Lynch was replaced by Kelvin Wilson.

Ipswich put pressure on the Forest goal as they surged forward and the Forest substitute was quickly involved in keeping the ball away from goal.

Forest missed a great chance to secure the win with five minutes to go from a great ball by Tudgay who crossed to Anderson on the back post. He sent the ball across the face of goal to Tyson
who shot wide from 6 yards out.

A quick break by Ipswich created a chance and Camp did well to turn the ball round for a corner to keep Leadbitter's effort out.

Dele Adebola came on for Tyson with just three minutes remaining for Forest to hold on and Ipswich kept the pressure on into the five minutes of added time.

As the home side battled for the equalizer Camp punched the ball clear as Norris chipped it towards goal, but the ball kept coming back until play was stopped after Leadbitter picked up a red card for a bad foul on Anderson with a minute of stoppage time remaining.

Bizarrely game resumed with a free kick for Ipswich for the original foul by Tudgay but the ball was blocked and play continued into seven minutes added time before the whistle finally went to end the game.

Nottingham Forest: Camp(C), Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Lynch(Wilson 82min), Cohen, Moussi, Ramsey, Anderson, Tyson(Adebola 87min), McGoldrick(Tudgay72min)
Subs not used: Smith, Majewski, McGugan, Earnshaw,
Bookings: Camp 30min, Ramsey 66min
Scorer: Delaney 45min og

Ipswich Town: Fulop, Brown, McAuley(Peters 45minHT), Delaney, Kennedy, Norris(C), Livermore(Edwards 53min, Leadbitter, Colback, Wickham, Fallon(Scotland 53min)
Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Smith, O'Dea, Murray
Bookings: Norris 35min, Leadbitter 90+4min RED CARD

Referee: D.Sheldrake
Attendance: 19,455 Away attn: 1,365

    Latest Match Reports