Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 01 Jan 11 at 16:56 PM

Nottingham Forest 2 v 2 Barnsley

Nottingham Forest hold onto their unbeaten home League record after being tested by a strong Barnsley performance.

Forest lacked fluency in the first half, struggling to create chances and after Barnsley took the lead they defended well to prevent Forest from getting back into the game.

Barnsley doubled their lead two minutes into the second half but a penalty gave Forest a lifeline, which the took, equalizing ten minutes from time.

It was nearly ten minutes before Forest had a chance, starting with some good footwork by Lewis McGugan who got away from two to lay the ball into the path of Chris Cohen. His cross was intended for Robert Earnshaw but it was blocked by a Barnsley defender and cleared away.

Five minutes later Barnsley had their first chance of the game when Adam Hammill put in a cross which found Kieran Trippier . His shot went back across the face of goal to Andy Gray whose close range effort was well stopped by the feet of Lee Camp.

A minute later Barnsley were in front from the unlikely source of defender Matt Hill who ran from midfield to pinch the ball off Marcus Tudgay and beat everyone to run clear on goal and send the ball past Camp from 12 yards out.

A well-taken free kick by McGugan from a tight angle, just outside the right side of the box, found the head of Wes Morgan at the far post, but the ball was too high for the Forest defender to get a good angle on and it went high over the bar.

Forest came close to an equalizer just before half time when Majewski crossed the ball into the box where Earnshaw managed to get a touch on it, but Luke Steele came out to smother his effort.

There were shouts from around the City Ground for a penalty in stoppage time when Stephen Foster collided with Majewski in the box but the referee felt the Forest player made too much of a meal of his fall and waved play on.

It was a positive start to the second half by Barnsley and Camp had an easy save to make two minutes in when Hammill tried a long-range shot.

And they had increased their lead five minutes into the half when Trippier got away down the right and got past Cohen to get the cross in to the far post to Gray who headed in from close range.

Hammill had another chance when he got past Morgan but his shot went straight at Camp.

Billy Davies reacted with a double substitution that saw Aaron Ramsey replace Majewski and Nathan Tyson come on for Garath McCleary.

But Barnsley continued to dominate, causing more problems for the Forest defence.

Forest were awarded a penalty in the 67th minute following a great ball from Tudgay down the right. He sent the ball into the path of Chris Gunter who burst into the penalty area where he was brought down by Hammill.

McGugan took the penalty well, shooting low into the left corner of the net.

Forest had a chance to level things up from a lovely cross in from Tyson who pulled the ball back from the by-line and sent it to the feet of Earnshaw in the centre of the penalty area, but he was unable to get the ball under control and sent it flying over.

Forest's last substitution saw Dele Adebola come on for Earnshaw and Forest pushed forward with renewed energy.

And they finally got the equaliser ten minutes from time when an effort by Tudgay was blocked and the ball broke free inside a crowded box. It fell to the feet of Tyson who managed to get the ball over the line from close range.

They had a chance of a winner when Adebola crossed inside the box to Tyson who poked the ball towards goal but it was easily saved by Steele.

And Forest  continued to battle for a winner in stoppage time but had to be satisfied with a share of the points.

Nottingham Forest: Camp(C), Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Cohen, McCleary(Tyson 54min), Moussi, Majewski(Ramsey 54min), McGugan, Tudgay, Earnshaw(Adebola 75min)
Subs not used: Smith(GK), Wilson, Lynch, Anderson,
Bookings: Chambers 39min
Scorer: McGugan 68min, Tyson 80min

Barnsley: Steele, Shackell(C), Foster, Hassell, Hammill(O'Brien 88min), Doyle, Gray, Lovre(Colace 90+2min), Trippier, Arismendi, Hill
Subs not used: Preece(GK), Hayes, Butterfield, Bennett, Neumann
Bookings: Hassell 73min
Scorers: Hill 17min, Gray 50min

Referee: D Whitestone
Attendance: 22,179 Away attn: 925

    Latest Match Reports