Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 09 Nov 10 at 22:02 PM

Nottingham Forest 2 v 1 Coventry City

Forest came from behind to record their third straight home win and stretch their unbeaten home league run to 27 games.

Goals from Radoslaw Majewski and Chris Cohen earned the 2-1 victory for the Reds at a bitterly cold City Ground after Luke Chambers had scored an own goal to put Coventry ahead.

Forest started brightly and Robert Earnshaw was denied by a smart block by Coventry goalkeeper Keiren Westwood inside 40 seconds as he tried to get on the end of Lewis McGugan's low cross.

And Nathan Tyson should have opened the scoring a minute later as he raced onto Majewski's through ball, but Tyson could only loft the ball high and wide.

Forest were dominating possession, with Coventry content to sit deep and attempt to hit the home side on the break, and another attack ended with Guy Moussi finding Majewski on the edge of the box, but he could only shoot wide of Westwood's left-hand post.

McGugan was next to threaten Westwood's goal, firing into the side netting after skipping past two half-hearted challenges from the Coventry defence.

Chris Cohen then shot over as Forest's possession continued to come to nothing.

On the half-hour mark, Coventry were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box after Wes Morgan brought down Luca Jutkiewicz as the two battled for Marlon King's flick-on, but King fired the set piece straight into the wall.

But it was from another needless foul by Morgan on Jutkiewicz that Coventry took the lead, much against the run of play, five minutes later.

This time, Sammy Clingan's inswinging free-kick was headed into the top corner of his own goal by Luke Chambers as he tried to clear.

Forest rallied and were level six minutes later thanks to a stunning strike from Majewski. Cohen laid the ball back and Majewski took one touch before firing past Westwood from 25 yards.

Camp was then called into action, diving to his left to stop Clingan's free-kick as City again threatened from a dead ball.

Coventry threatened first in the second half, again from a set piece as Richard Keogh's header from Clingan's inswinging corner was superbly saved by Camp with his feet.

Aron Gunnarsson then proceeded to fire over when unchallenged on the edge of the box as Forest gifted possession away in their own half.

Tyson then threatened on the hour mark as he blocked Westwood's clearance, but was deceived by the spin as the ball came down and Westwood was able to gather.

But Forest were not to be denied and took the lead two minutes later, as Cohen's free-kick from the right touchline deceived everyone to find the corner of the net.

Coventry threw bodies forward in an attempt to find an equaliser and King came close, glancing a header just wide from Martin Cranie's ball into the box.

A minute later King fired into the side netting after being found by Carl Baker.

Coventry continued to press, but despite several penalty area scrambles, Camp was not called into action again until added time.

As the board went up to indicate an extra six minutes, the Forest keeper pulled off a fine save, diving to his left to palm away King's effort, and that was the last threat to his goal Forest were able to see out the remaining time without alarm.

Forest: Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Bertrand, Cohen, Moussi, McGugan(Anderson, 82min), Majewski(Adebola 87min), Tyson, Earnshaw(Blackstock 69min),
Subs not used: Darlow(GK), McGoldrick, Lynch, McKenna
Bookings: Chambers 45min
Scorer: Majewski 41min, Cohen 63min

Coventry City: Westwood, Keogh, Cranie, McPake(Cameron 64min), Wood, Clingan(Doyle 71min), Carsley(C), Gunnarsson, McSheffrey(Baker 67min), King, Jutkiewicz
Subs not used:Clarke, Eastwood, O'Donovan, Ireland(GK)
Bookings: Wood 55min, Clingan 69min
Scorer: Chambers og 35min

Referee: A Marriner
Attendance: 19,501 away attn: 1596

    Latest Match Reports