Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Nov 10 at 17:02 PM

Watford 1 v 1 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest had to be satisfied with a share of the points after an evenly-matched game at Watford.

With Watford taking the lead after just three minutes, Forest struggled to get into the game until they got the equalizer 20 minutes into the first half.

Watford threatened again late in the half but Forest held on to go in at half time on level terms.

Both sides created chances in the second half but, with the majority of them being off target, the two keepers had little to do and neither side could find the back of the net.

Watford took the lead just three minutes into the game from a cross from the right by Danny Graham to an unmarked Jordon Mutch who nodded easily past Lee Camp inside the near post from ten yards out.

It was 15 minutes before Forest threatened for the first time when Chris Gunter fed the ball to Lewis McGugan's feet but as he turned he lost control of the ball and gave it away.

A superb ball in from McGugan created another chance when it dropped for Robert Earnshaw but he was unable to get a shot in.

Another piece of magic from McGugan put Forest back level in the 20th minute. He was fed the ball by Dexter Blackstock, ran forward ten yards before unleashing and a superb shot from 25 yards.

And McGugan's superb cross created another chance as the ball came in for Blackstock on the edge of the penalty area and Scott Loach did well to block his effort before the ball went out for a goal kick.

Watford came close to scoring just before half time when Troy Deeney got past Wes Morgan and his shot produced a superb effort from Camp. The rebound came back out and Gunter did well to dive in and put the ball out for a corner.

And Gunter was again on hand to stop the ball going in during the one minute of stoppage time when Camp came to claim the ball from the cross by John Eustace. The Forest player missed the ball and Gunter was on the line to head the ball which went off the crossbar to safety.

It was a frantic start to the second half with far too many crosses coming into the Forest penalty area but fortunately for Forest Watford's efforts lacked in accuracy.

McGugan tried another long-range shot when he got clear and smashed right-footed as Loach ran towards the far post, but the ball was just wide of the target.

And McGugan tried again when he saw that Loach was stranded out of his box but again he was just off target.

Nathan Tyson replaced Robert Earnshaw in the 67th minute as Forest struggled up front.

Forest had another chance to take the lead when Paul Anderson nodded across the face of goal but Blackstock was unable to control the ball.

And they threatened again from a good cross by McGugan to Tyson whose diving header from the edge of the box went wide of the post.

A quick break by Watford came to nothing after Mutch found Graham but Luke Chambers reacted quickly to block the shot.

The 2,195 Forest fans were on their feet to applaud McGugan when he went off with nine minutes remaining, with Dele Adebola coming on and give Forest three up front.

Forest were close again when Paul McKenna's cross somehow evaded Blackstock before bouncing past Adebola and going clear.

And they missed a chance just before the four minutes of stoppage time after a good break by Tyson who slipped the ball to Chris Cohen, but his effort missed the target from the edge of the D.

A good break by substitute Marvin Sordell threatened to give Watford a last-minute goal but the Forest defence reacted quickly to clear the danger as the final whistle went.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Chambers, Morgan, Gunter, Bertrand, Anderson, Cohen, McKenna(C)(Moussi 90min), McGugan(Adebola 82min), Earnshaw(Tyson 67min), Blackstock
Subs not used: Darlow, Lynch, Majewski, McGoldrick
Scorer: McGugan 20min

Watford: Loach, A Taylor, M Taylor, Mariappa, Doyley, McGinn, Bryan(Whichelow 71min), Mutch, Eustace, Deeney(Sordell 90min), Graham
Subs not used: Gilmartin, Bennett, Hodson, Walker, Buckley,
Scorer: Mutch 3min

Referee: Jon Moss

Attendance: 14,708 Away attn: 2,195

    Latest Match Reports