Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 30 Oct 10 at 17:01 PM

Portsmouth 2 v 1 Nottingham Forest

In spite of creating some good football Nottingham Forest were unable to take any points from a bouyant Portsmouth.

It was a lively, evenly matched first half with both sides producing good football and creating chances.Portsmouth scored first but Forest kept the pressure on and were rewarded with an equalizer.

Portsmouth dominated the first 20 minutes of the second half, taking back their lead just after the hour mark. But Forest fought back well and came close to getting an equalizer on more than one occasion.

Forest had their first chance of the game in the sixth minute when
Radoslaw Majewski split the Portsmouth defence apart and fed the ball through to Lewis McGugan. His first effort was blocked by Jamie Ashdown but it came back out to McGugan who had the keeper beaten but could only find the side netting at a tight angle.

Portsmouth created a chance from a throw-in on the right but Greg Halford's long throw went across the six-yard box and out the other side. And Hayden Mullis came close when he made a good break and found himself in space but his shot from 16 yards went over the crossbar.

After coming close with one effort, Portsmouth took the lead in the 17th minute from the resulting corner which saw Liam Lawrence find Ibrahima Sonko who sent the ball flying past Lee Camp.

Forest were on level terms 26 minutes into the game after Luke Chambers got the ball forward and laid it on for McGugan. His delivery into the box was perfect and the diving header from Paul Anderson found the back of the net.

Good work by Forest created another chance when Chris Cohen squared the ball for McGugan who swung his foot at the ball from eight yards out but completely mis-kicked.

After a good period from Forest, Portsmouth put pressure on the Forest goal with a succession of corners in the closing minutes of the half.

David Nugent created a chance early in the second half when he forced Camp to run backwards when he curled the ball just over the crossbar from the edge of the penalty area.

As Portsmouth continued to threaten, Kelvin Wilson did well to keep pace with John Utaka as he ran dangerously into the box, giving Camp the chance to make a dive for the ball.

Forest's first substitution saw Majewski replaced by Dele Adebola 14 minutes into the half.

But the home side kept the pressure on, first with Lawrence having his shot cleared by Wilson
and then Camp had to back-pedal to put the ball round for a corner from Nugent's effort.

The pressure paid off for them when Lawrence picked up the cross from Ibrahima Sonko and smashed the ball into the back of the net from the centre of the penalty area, giving Camp no chance to do anything about it.

Robert Earnshaw returned to action following his thigh injury, replacing David McGoldrick in the 68th minute.

Forest's first real chance of the half came soon after with Chambers crossing to the back post where Cohen's diving header across the face of goal went just wide of the target.

Portsmouth were soon back on the attack and when Aaron Mokoena put the ball in to Utaka, Camp did well to come out and make the save with his legs.

Former Southampton player Dexter Blackstock received a less than welcome reception from the home fans when he came on to replace Anderson with 13 minutes remaining.

Forest came close after good build-up play finished with a good cross into the box by Gunter where Blackstock's effort forced Ashdown to dive to his right to make the save.

Forest gave Portsmouth a chance to get forward when Paul McKenna mis-judged his cross, allowing the home side to break forward and Nugen't effort forced Camp to dive low to his right to make the save.

Forest should have been back on level terms when Cohen's free kick found Chambers, whose header from 12 yards out went just wide of the post.

With four minutes stoppage time to play, Forest continued to push forward and when they won a free kick wide on the left Camp came up into the Portsmouth box to give Forest an extra man.

And the Forest keeper had to make a dash back to his own area to get to the ball first when Portsmouth made a break just before the final whistle.

Abacus Business Consultancy

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Chambers, Morgan, Wilson, Anderson(Blackstock 77min), Cohen, Gunter, McKenna(C), Majewski(Adebola, 60min), McGugan, McGoldrick(Earnshaw 68min)
Subs not used: Darlow, Bertrand, Moussi, Tyson,
Bookings: Majewski 39min
Scorer: Anderson 27min

Portsmouth: Ashdown, Halford, Dickinson, Mokoena(C), Lawrence, Mullins, Nugent, Brown, Utaka(Rocha 89min), Kitson(Hreidarsson 90+2min), Sonko
Subs not used: Flahavan (GK), Ward, Hughes, Ciftci, Kanu,
Scorer: Sonko 18min, Lawrence 62min

Referee: M Haywood
Attendance 19,719 Away attn: 2,300

    Latest Match Reports