Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 19 Oct 10 at 21:43 PM

Nottingham Forest 1 v 0 Middlesbrough

Nottingham Forest worked hard to put in a second-half performance that earned them all three points against Middlesbrough.

After a frustrating first 30 minutes Forest finished the half strongly and some good, accurate passing saw them put Middlesbrough under pressure.

Forest started the second half well and took the lead after five minutes with Lewis McGugan's sixth goal of the season.

They dominated play for much of the half but it was a tense end to the game as Middlesbrough fought back, but Forest kept their composure to hold on for the win.

Lee Camp was brought into action as early as the second minute when Scott McDonald's shot from 20 yards took a deflection and the Forest keeper was forced to dive to his right to put the ball out for a corner.

Forest quickly took possession of the game and a good cross by Ryan Bertrand, hit in with pace, came in for Dexter Blackstock to get a shot in and Chris Gunter also had an effort from the rebound saved by the Boro keeper.

But, with Middlesbrough defending well and in numbers Forest struggled to get the ball near the Boro goal.

Good build-up play by the away side gave them another chance and when Leroy Lita sent the ball across the face of goal, Camp was pleased to see it go out the other side without anyone getting on the end of it.

Forest also came close when Lewis McGugan mis-kicked and the ball fell to Blackstock who shot from a tight angle and his effort went across goal and just wide of the far post.

Lita missed a chance when he found himself unmarked and in space12 yards out but, with the whole goal to aim for, he shot wide of the target.

Forest almost took the lead just before half time when Bertrand made a break before pulling the ball back for Raddy Majewski who sent it flying towards goal from the edge of the box. The ball hit the underside of the bar and bounced back out before being headed out for a corner.

Forest started the second half positively and created a half chance when Blackstock lofted the ball over for Chris Cohen but he side-footed tamely towards goal for an easy save by Jason Steele.

And they took the lead five minutes in, from a free kick wide on the left, with a rocket of a shot from in-form McGugan. The ball flew through the penalty area past everyone and inside the far post.

Bertrand unfairly picked up his fourth booking of the season for time-wasting when he was waiting for Forest to make a substitution. Having shown the yellow card the referee proceeded to let Dele Adebola come on for Blackstock, with 18 minutes remaining.

The Forest substitute was soon involved when he got on the end of Cohen's cross, but his header was comfortably saved for Hoyte.

McGugan received a standing ovation when he left the pitch to make way for Guy Moussi with 11 minutes to go.

There was a worrying moment for Forest when David Wheater's shot headed for goal, but Camp was quick to leap on the ball.

Forest continued to put the pressure on Middlesbrough as they surged forward and patient build-up play finally gave Adebola a chance, but the ball was plucked out of the air by Steele.

There was a worrying moment for Forest as the tension mounted when, with three minutes remaining, Boro got forward and Forest struggled to clear the ball from a crowded penalty area.

And Luke Chambers did well to get in the way to close down Kris Boyd.

Forest finally got the ball down the other end as the announcement of four minutes stoppage time was met with loud groans by the home supporters.

It was a tense finish to the game and Forest did well to earn all three points.

Forest: Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Bertrand, Cohen, Majewski(McGoldrick 83min), McKenna(C), Anderson, McGugan(Moussi 79min), Blackstock(Adebola 72min)
Subs not used: Darlow,Thornhill, McCleary, Wilson,
Bookings: Bertrand 71min
Scorer: McGugan 51min

Middlesbrough: Steele, McMahon, Bates, Wheater, McManus, Tavares(Smallwood 56min), O'Neil(C), Bailey(Miller 83min), McDonald, Boyd, Lita(Bennett 69min),
Subs not used: Coyne(GK), Kink, Hines, Williams
Bookings: Wheater 90min

Referee: S. Tanner
Attendance: 22,115 away attn: 666

    Latest Match Reports